There are at least five Civil War-era Nashville structures left standing today.
State Capitol. Charlotte Ave., between 6th and 7th Ave,Built in 1845-1859. It was designed by William Strickland in Greek Revival style. Strickland is entombed above the cornerstone. It was occupied by the then military Governor Andrew Johnson. Also known as Fort Johnson, it was fortified with palisades, parapets, and heavy field artillery. It is a National Historic Landmark.
St. Mary’s Catholic Church. 330 Fifth Ave North, corner of Fifth Ave and Charlotte Ave. Built between 1844-1847 by plans from Adolphus Heiman. It is the oldest standing church in Nashville.
First Presbyterian Church. 154 Fifth Avenue. Corner of Fifth and Church.
Completed in 1851 by William Strickland in the Egyptian Revival Church. A church has existed on this site since 1816, this structure being the third. The Federals used it for part of Hospital No. 8, with 206 beds.
Elm Street Methodist Church. Fourth and Elm Streets. Brick with tall steeple and spire. tilt in 1860, now an office building (Tuck-Hinton Architects). Federals used it for a hospital during the Civil War.
Western Military Academy. 724 Second Avenue South.
Built 1853-54 as the Literary Building for the University of Nashville. Designed by Heiman. The limestone building was used for a military institute, also for part of Hospital No. 2 with 300 beds. Now used by the Metro Nashville Planning Commission.