McKendree Methodist Church located at 523 Church Street, Nashville, Tennessee. The church was named for Bishop William McKendree, the first American Methodist bishop. This is the fourth McKendree Methodist Church building to occupy this site. The first building was completed in 1833 and hosted the funeral of James K. Polk, 11th President of the United States.
Here’s what the church looked like in the 1850s.
This is a pen-n-ink wash done by Nashville bookseller William A. Eichbaum during the 1850s. The church was completed in 1833 and named after Bishop William McKendree (d 1835).
McKendree Methodist Church was a very important church to the religious and cultural life of Nashville throughout the 19th century, serving as the site for gubernatorial inaugurations to funeral processions.
The Federal army commandeered the use of McKendree in 1863 and it was converted into a military hospital. The original church was burnt in 1879.