The cornerstone for the Maxwell House Hotel was laid in the summer of 1860. When Federal troops occupied it in 1862 for Confederate prisoners of war the hotel was still being constructed. It was formally finished in 1869. The architect was Isaiah Rogers, of Cincinnati. The original building sat at the corner of what is now Church and Fourth Streets.

Source: Nashville Public Library, Digital Collections