A page from a mounted and bound volume of twenty-five pen-and-ink wash drawings, and two pen-and-ink maps of Nashville created by William A. Eichbaum during the 1850s. Eichbaum was a Nashville bookseller and resident for fifty years. This drawing is of Holy Trinity Episcopal Church. This Gothic stone structure is located at Sixth Avenue South and Lafayette Street. The church was founded in 1852 as a “free” church, open to all. It is the oldest Episcopal church building in Nashville, with its core structure and tower being completed respectively in 1853 and 1887. The structure is an example of early Gothic revival architecture in the South. Holy Trinity was used as a butcher shop and watering place for Union Troops in occupied Nashville during the Civil War. Forms part of the William A. Eichbaum Sketchbook. 1 drawing : col. ; 5.75 x 9 in.
Source: Nashville Public Library, Digital Collections