Both hand-colored and in original marbleized frames, one entitled South East View of Fort Negley and the other South West View of Fort Negley, printed by Gibson & Co. Cincinnati, print is 9″ x 18″, frames 106″ x 18.6″.
After its capture in 1862, Nashville was developed by Union forces into the most fortified city in North America. A series of forts ringed the city, the largest and southernmost being Fort Negley, named for U.S. Gen. James Scott Negley, provost marshal and commander of Federal forces in Nashville. The remains of Fort Negley are located on a high hill south of downtown Nashville at the confluence of Interstates 65 and 40.
Image source: Cowan’s